Drafting while cycling is a time to focus in on the ride and your form. It’s a time to put all energy and thoughts into the move, and bring your awareness internally. Here is a quick drafting 101 lesson to show you why incorporating a hill draft into your ride is beneficial.
1) Flat back, core engaged.
Tilt your pelvis backwards in order to lift your tail bone up (as displayed above)
2) Chest open, shoulder blades pulled together
Think "good posture"
3) Hips back over the saddle
- Can use a strong hold onto handle bars to counter resistance
4) Neutral neck
Notice how Melissa's head (above) is strong and forward, not relaxed and hanging low.
1) It’s a time to sit back, relax, and meditate in a sense. You’re able to reflect on your week, your workout, and where they want to take the rest of the class. It’s a moment for self-love and a time to build up before using a lot of energy.
2) It is a simple, controlled move that allows people the time and space to focus on improving their form.
3) It’s a great glute-targeted move; hello great butt!
What muscles are being used?
1) EVERYTHING! How awesome is that?!
You're using your glutes, core, back muscles, hamstrings, quads, and inner thighs. Now THAT'S a workout!