Eating before and after your workout is important. Sometimes, though, it’s hard finding the perfect meal that fills you up and isn’t too heavy. We asked some of our SPIRE instructor’s what their favorite pre and post workout meals are just for you!
Banana Chocolate Smoothie
Our SPIRE Crew instructor, Alicia’s, favorite workout snack is a peanut butter banana smoothie. It can’t get much better than that. It’s a good snack before or after your workout. It’s light and quick to make for before but it is also packed with carbs and protein for muscle recovery.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp. honey-peanut butter
- 1 ripe banana, broken into large chunks (can be frozen)
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 5-10 ice cubes, depending on how thick you like it
- Optional: 1 tsp. honey
- Add all ingredients in blender, starting with the almond milk.
- Blend until smooth.
- If too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add some more ice.
Peanut Butter Banana Snack Wrap
Take note, bananas and peanut butter sure are the craze for our SPIRE instructors. Jenell, our SPIRE Crew and TRX instructor’s favorite workout meal is a simple yet delicious peanut butter and banana wrap. It’s an easy make even if you are the kitchen connoisseur and it’s just what you need with both carbs, protein, and cinnamon to support a healthy metabolism.
- 1 whole wheat wrap
- 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter
- 1/2 banana, slice
- 1 tsp. honey or agave
- Cinnamon to taste
- Spread peanut butter on wrap, place banana slices on peanut butter.
- Drizzle with honey/agave
- Roll up and enjoy!
For something that doesn’t sit heavy in your stomach before a workout and is a good combo of carbs, protein and fats, try our SPIRE ride and TRX instructor Cristina's go to meal, rice cakes with almond butter and hemp seeds.
- 2 brown rice cakes
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- Hemp seeds
- Spread almond butter on the rice cake and top with a sprinkling of hemp seeds. Devour.
Simple Green Smoothie
Cristina’s post workout snack is a simple green smoothie. It’s quick, a natural energy booster, packed with healthy fats and proteins, and boosts your body’s immune system with fighting antioxidants. Simple yet delicious!
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 cup of blueberries (any berries will work)
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- (5-10) ice cubes
- A pinch of stevia
- Blend spinach and almond milk until smooth.
- Next add remaining fruits and blend again.
Green Smoothie with a Twist
Elizabeth, our SPIRE Rhythm Ride instructor, also has a love for green smoothies. Her favorite though is a little different, and you’ll definitely want to try both. It's a great way to start your morning before a SPIRE ride.
- Coconut Water
- 1/2 banana
- 1-2 cups of organic "power greens" (kale, spinach, collard greens)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- Vega Topical Smoothie protein powder (found at Whole Foods)
- Your favorite organic frozen fruit (mangos and raspberries recommended)
- Put it all in a blender until smooth.
Homemade Protein Bars
Another favorite of Elizabeth’s are homemade protein bars. Now you can’t go wrong with these, they are full of protein and are sure to make your taste buds ring. Perfect for before or after a long workout.
- 1 cup of almond butter
- 1 cup of organic honey
- 1 cup of organic quick or steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup of chopped dried apricots
- 3 scoops of vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tbsp. of cinnamon
- Heat almond butter and honey on low heat until smooth.
- While still hot, add oats, almonds, apricots, protein powder and cinnamon.
- Mix well and spread evenly in a pan.
- Refrigerate overnight.